Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day Thirty-Seven...In The End IT Is All Good



Hi.

I met a friend, Beth, at Starbucks today to talk about blogging. We had a great time. She gave me some pointers which I knew I would need help with. As she was talking I was beginning to get the "waw waw waw waw waw's. It was not because she was boring. I was on sensory overload. These blogging sites can be really confusing for me. I simply get overwhelmed. Armed with my little 7" laptop, I tried to log on the Wi-Fi at Starbucks. It didn't connect. I tried over and over to no avail. I asked for help, which took forever. The free Wi-Fi at Starbucks actually costs $5.00 minimum per month (you have to buy a Starbucks card). This enables you to have "free" Internet for 2 hours per day(for 30 days and then you have to reload your card again even if you did not spend the $5.00). Does this sound like it's free? I bought my $5.00 minimum worth (of course) and proceeded to try and connect. Couldn't do it. After you succumb and buy the card, it takes 24 hours for your "free"service!! What's up with that? I was getting annoyed as I was trying to keep my composure. My body temperature was rising and I was wearing a dark grey t-shirt. I surely didn't want to have sweat marks because of my inability to figure this Wi-Fi-crap out! I took a deep breathe in and waited for my helpful Barista to come. Beth and I continued to talk about blogs, fashion, kids, and this rotten Wi-Fi. If one wants help then one should be nice, right? The Barista signed me on to her account and I got on the Internet. This process took about 45 minutes and I was on the Internet for about 10 minutes!! There would have been a time when I would have picked my stuff up, proclaimed, "This is a rip off", and stormed out of Starbucks. Who would I have hurt in that situation...ME. I love that we are in this age of being able to work and have "meetings" in coffee places, parks, restaurants and are not confined to the home or office. With it comes confusion (for me), but in the end..it is all good.

Why listen to Wolffie? Because I get it. Yesterday I spoke about my boys not backing each other up. It was so timely that they were getting on each other's nerves. We had a conversation on the way to school about bullying and being kind to their bros and kids at school. A situation happened with a 15 year old boy in Florida who was doused with rubbing alcohol and set on fire by 3 or 4 15 year old boys and a 13 year old boy. My kids were horrified (as they should have been). I was sick to my stomach. They couldn't understand how anyone could do that to another person. I couldn't either. I explained how words could be as hurtful and that it is never okay to hurt someone at the expense of the kid and of them looking better. Put downs suck, they all agreed. I did ramble on and one of my boys started singing softly as I was speaking. Rude I thought. That was my blatant cue to stop pressing the issue..he was on "mommy is lecturing way to much" overload. I started to bark, and then I stopped myself..isn't that a form of bullying? There was an assembly today on bullying at school (so timely). My boys all came home very affected. They each told me that they either apologized to someone that they weren't always nice to, asked a boy to come have lunch with their pals that usually eats alone or did a random act of kindness to a fellow student. AWESOME!!! They all admitted to having cried or wanting to. I told them how wonderful it must have felt to act kindly and to try and carry this nice behavior on instead of forgetting in a couple of days and reverting back to acting yucky.

My mantra for today: I shall not bark at my kids. I shall not roll my eyes at my hubby. I shall treat others as I want to be treated.

As I told my boys earlier today, "It takes less energy to be nice than it does to me mean".
I will practice what I preach.

Can you relate?

More will be revealed. Please come back for more.

Signing off until we meet again.

In Love and Peace,

Wolffie

No comments:

Post a Comment