Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day Forty-Four...This Is Where I Want To Be



Hi.

Today is my wedding anniversary. All year I have been thinking we will be celebrating 22 years. Actually it is 21 years!!! I can't picture my life without my hubby in it. We have been through it all together. We lived the high life in Manhattan. We had a great loft like apartment in the West Village. My hubby was in the music biz at the time, s0 we went to great shows, fancy restaurants, he had a humungo expense account and we traveled around the city in a car service. I worked on 7th Avenue, the mecca of the fashion biz. I was in heaven. Sample sales galore. I would meet my pals at lunch and we would hit the showrooms. I was like a kid in a candy store. The best part of that time though was that our first born was born at Lennox Hill Hospital. We had a charmed life. We were invincible. We decided to move back to Los Angeles when our daughter was a year old to be close to family and old dear friends.

For along while we just kept moving on up the ladder. We had great homes, fancy cars, clothes and shoes up the yin yang. We had three more kids. All was good.Then it all changed about 9 years. We sold our home, my husband changed careers, I got diagnosed with breast cancer, my hubby's dad died all in the span of a year. Our priorities changes big time. We realized that it's not about size of your home but about the people who live in it. It's not about the name brand of the car, but where the car needs to take you. It's not about the labels of clothes (still like them though) but having clothes on your back.It's not about eating out every night but having food on the table. It's also about good health and remembering the importance of family. Big lessons. Important lessons. We became grounded like never before. Sometimes when we were climbing up the success ladder, I forgot some of this stuff. All these situations in our lives led us to be closer to each other and moved us toward a more spiritual way of life. We have what we need and we are blessed.

There is no one in the world that I would have wanted to share the highs and lows with. We held each other's hands, wiped each other's tears, laughed at each other's jokes, and even knew that when there was silence we would return to voice. I love my guy. He has put up with me for sure (and I him).

Why listen to Wolffie? Because I get it. I was 27 when we got engaged. Most of my friends were either married or in a relationship. I knew that my guy was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. We fit together. We were (and are ) soul mates. I thought that I was going to have to ask him to marry me, so on the day that he asked me to marry him, he was unusually nervous (why it's just a question?!?). He was rambling on and on (as he often does when he is nervous) and finally said, "I told your dad that I take marriage very seriously and that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you". My stupid reply, "No you didn't." There was a long silence. "Wolffie, will you marry me?" I was stunned, surprised and ecstatic all at the same time. "Yes"!!!!! We hugged , kissed and I immediately entered the bliss of engagement. We went to dinner and he made a toast, "Till death do us part" I got this overwhelming sense of panic. That's along time to be with someone. Do I want this? One man for the rest of my life? It's amazing how many thoughts can go through your mind in a millisecond. I smiled, clicked his glass and let those thoughts exit my brain.

Moral of the story: Follow your gut, not your head.

Can you relate?

More will be revealed. Please come back for more.

Signing off until we meet again.

In Love and Peace,

Wendy

2 comments:

  1. my favorite post so far!
    Happy Anniversary you two!!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary Wendy and Steve -
    its great to know that true love exists - its real, and its the best thing on the planet to know you have a soulmate . Going thru hard times together makes you stronger and solidifies your relationship, and it sure makes you grow up! Thanks for sharing.
    Love to both of you ,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete