Friday, November 27, 2009

Day Sixty-Five..Family..Food..Priceless

Hi.

I am STUFFED!!! I feel like I ate whole container of kosher salt. My rings are tight, my face feels PUFFY and I don't really want to eat for a week. It was worth every bite. I didn't really eat a TON of food. I am usually not a carb loader..BUT the stuffing was delectable and my hubby made three types of mashed potatoes....the traditional plain, sauteed onion a garlic and horseradish. Can I brag a bit?!? My turkey was moist, seasoned just right and the skin was crispy. Truly a wonderful meal. The company was nice. No family drama, just nice conversation, funny stories and a lot of love. The only thing missing was my brother and his family being out of the country and not with us and of course I missed my daddy. I believe his spirit was with us. There is something about this holiday that is so wonderful. It is filled with tradition, reflection about what is important to each one of us with family and loved ones surrounding you.

Today is my dad's birthday. I went to the cemetery with my mom. It wasn't sad as I thought it would be. My mom and I reminisced and told great stories about my dad. It was loving and intimate. We actually laughed at some of my dad's antics. The anticipation was far more emotional than the visit to the cemetery.

Why listen to Wolffie? Because I get it. So, I think I mentioned in a earlier blog that Thanksgiving is not my usual holiday that I host at my home. I think I know why. My hubby, daughter and I moved back to California 18 years ago. I really wanted to entertain my family. We had my family and my hubby's family for Thanksgiving. We made most of the dinner. My table was set with my fine china, wine glasses, cloth napkins and beautiful flowers.. Martha Stewart...really had to move over. Imagine a quality Leave It To Beaver setting. My brother in law Bobby was the turkey carver. My dad had handed him the honors...and important honor. The turkey was done...cooled and ready to be carved. The most awful thing happened...IT WAS RAW. HORROR!!!!!!!!! We had to microwave the turkey. I was appalled. Martha Stewart was silently gleaming in her beautiful home in Connecticut!!! I never did Thanksgiving again until this year. Could it be that they didn't like raw turkey?!? Well lets just fast forward 18 years later why don't we?....My sis in law might have to hand over the reigns of our Thanksgiving feast!! I was sweating bullets..but there was no need. It was perfect this time around!!! Okay, so I won't really take over this holiday... it's my sister in laws favorite. I'll take the kudos from last night and I have a call into Martha... move over baby, THE QUEEN IS BACK!!!!!

Can you relate?

More will be revealed. Please come back foe more.

Signing off until we meet again.

In Love and Peace,

Wolffie

1 comment: