Monday, December 14, 2009

Day Seventy-One..Tis The Season To Be.....

Hi.

There's something about the holidays that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. I love buying gifts for my loved ones. I love the colder weather. I love the winter break from my kids school so we can chill and not have our usual hustle and bustle life. I love the holiday songs. I love the idea about drinking hot tea, eggnog, and all the family rituals that come around this time of year.

What I don't like about this time of year is that people get rude and cranky. People do not act like the Hallmark adds I see on T.V.! What happened to holiday spirit?!? I was shopping the other day and I was about to get a prime parking spot. This person cut me off and took my spot!!! OMFG!!! Should I get out of my car and give them my two cents about being polite? No, parking karma will get them back. I just fumed all by myself and got a parking spot REALLY FAR AWAY!! I chalked it up to being able to have an extra potato pancake at our Hanukkah feast (which I didn't end up having..I opted for a larger frozen yogurt that night!!).

I mentioned how I love to give gifts. I do..I really do. My kids get the brunt of my "over controlling this is what you are going to open first gift says I the BIG KAHUNA mommy". I would like to say that is because I get them gifts that are similar, which is true, but it is really because I want to control their "you are the best mom (and dad) ever for getting me this awesome gift" feeling. Is it really a big deal if they open up what they want and the other kids see what they "might be getting"? Tonight is the 4th night of Hanukkah. We get each of our kids 5 gifts and I am going to "let them " pick whatever they want. I am sure this is going to makes my a*s feel tight...but I am going to do it. I am going to have to take a deep breathe and not open my mouth. I know they will ask "Which one should I open Mommy"? I am going to say......................"Whatever you want". I am sweating just writing this!!! I have to get over myself because the gift giving isn't about only "MY" happiness...it's really about "THE JOY ON THEIR FACES!! Right?!?

Why listen to Wolffie? Because I get it. Several years ago we decided to give our boys a Tether ball for a gift. They loved to play it every day on the school playground. What a "perfect gift"...right? My hubby bought the pole and the Tether ball accoutrement's. He decided that he wanted to install it himself, so he went to Home Depot and rented a cement drill!!! Can you picture my 5'6'' hubby on a cold winter night drilling in the dark? In the morning I woke up to see the Tether ball in place..and it was crooked!!! Like a mom who wants the gift to be perfect, I commented (in not a very nice tone), "You're going to have to do it again". Where was the "Great job Honey. The kids are going to love it"? I couldn't get those simple words out of my mouth. My kids woke up and a squeal came out of everyone of their mouths. THEY LOVED IT. Do you think that they noticed the pole was a bit off? NO THEY DIDN'T. Instead they saw a labor of love from their dad. Hours and hours were played with the crooked Tether ball. Who do you think was right in their opinion? Certainly it wasn't me!!!!!!

Moral of the story: The gift of giving is in the love and thought put into it..not always in the execution.

Can you relate?

More will be revealed. Signing off until we meet again.

In Love and Peace,

Wolffie

No comments:

Post a Comment