Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day Eighty-Two...Getting Older And Exercise..Do They Mix?

Hi.

I was talking to a close friend today about all of our body ailments.. my knee and back pain and knee pain. We had to giggle as we have been friends for so long and this is not what we are used to talking about. Ailments or our 14 year boy crushes? Hmmmm. that's a toss up!!!

The question that keeps haunting me is..am I doing too much? Sh*t, I am only 49. I want to challenge myself phyically and spiritually. Am I choosing the right challenges? I have to admit something. I don't like to exercise. I have tried the gym. Don't like the treadmill. Don't like the machines. The weights are..yawn, yawn..BORING. I love to swim...BUT it's a bit chilly now..so maybe in the Spring I can start up again. I want to try road biking..BUT I am a bit scared of the cars on the raod. I LOVE running. Who would have thunk?!? NOT ME!!! It requires so much. First..the act of moving your legs. Second, the act of using your lungs. In the beginning all I wanted to do was throw up. My lungs hurt. My feet hurt. My neck hurt. My thighs hurt. I JUST HURT!! Why did I push through? Partly because I wanted to have something in common with my boy, Running Stud. We talked about mine and his distances and times. He wanted to know my successes. He gave (and still does) me pointers. It was (and still is) great to have running in common. Somewhere along the journey I started running for me. I loved being outdoors. I loved that my distances were getting longer. I like to compete..even though I don't compete to be number one, but rather to finish the race. I love the running gear. So, with the groin pain, I push through. With my MCL injured I am counting the days until I can run again. So, when my friend said today that we are getting old bodies..I giggled..but I have to say I am not going to let myself think I can't. My mantra: I think I can, I think I can from here on in.

Why listen to Wolffie? Because I get it. Have you ever been so sore from exercise that you can't get out of bed? A few years ago, I signed up for one on one with a personal trainer. I was at my first training session..and she worked me hard. I kept saying, "I Can't Do This!" She kept saying "I want no excuses..just do it." So I did it. I woke up the next morning with every muscle in my body aching. I had to roll out of bed. It took me five minutes to ease myself onto the toilet. I barely could raise my hand to wash my hair. IT WAS AWFUL. I WANTED TO KILL MY TRAINER!! I cancelled my next session because after a couple of days...I still had to roll out of bed, ease myself onto the loo and it hurt liked crap to wash my hair. ANNOYING!!! Do I have to pay someone to feel so bad? It didn't make sense to me. Oh, I forgot to mention that I wanted to throw up..and she smiled!!!!! After three weeks ( I am not exaggerarting!!!) of pain and cancelling my sessions..I quit. Yes I am a quitter...and I felt empowered.

Can you relate? More will be revealed. Please come back for more.

Signing off until we meet again.

In Love and Peace,

Wolffie

No comments:

Post a Comment